Learn about investing in buy to let for retirement
21st February 2012
For Immediate Release
21 February 2012
Learn about investing in buy to let for retirement
Assetz conference, Saturday 3rd March 9.30 - 5.30, London
Public and private pension reforms and rock-bottom returns on savings are driving demand for buy to let property from those eager to secure a wealthy retirement. With many investors new to the market, buy to let specialist Assetz is offering the following advice on how to profit from strong tenant demand and house price growth over the long term, ahead of a day-long conference in London on Saturday 3rd March.
1. Location, location, location. Choose an attractive location with a sound employment market, which is not too reliant on manufacturing or the public sector. These areas could see 5% growth or more. Areas which are struggling with high levels of unemployment will see very low transaction levels next year and a fall in value of as much as 10%.
2. Know your tenant. Investors should always have a particular tenant market in mind when buying a property. If you are aiming to let your property to a professional couple, for example, it is likely to require a car parking space or proximity to good public transport, two bedrooms, a high quality kitchen and bathroom and a sleek, modern finish. Local knowledge or specialist agents will help you find a bargain above all else.
3. Decide whether to be an investor or landlord. Consider how much time you have to dedicate to your investment. If you work full time and want to invest in a buy to let property on the side, it will be worth instructing a local letting agency to manage the property on your behalf. Many first-time investors are surprised by the amount of work involved with directly managing a buy to let and delegating most of the day-to-day tasks in return for 7 to 10% of the rent is well worth while for most people.
4. Make sure the property you choose is a sound investment. It is essential not to let your heart rule your head in property investment. Unless you are buying a personal holiday home which you want to rent out for just a few weeks a year, your decision should be based on what your target rental market requires, and not your personal tastes!
5. Know the local rental market. Investors should always investigate how well similar properties have let over the previous twelve months in your chosen location. Speak with local agents and find out what rental incomes are being achieved and which properties are most popular in that area. It isn't just rental income that is important, but overall volume of demand, as this could reduce the voids between tenants.
Assetz' conference, ‘A Wealthy Retirement Through Property’, will be held on Saturday 3rd March, 9:30am – 5:30am, at the Double Tree Hilton Hotel in London. Hosted by Stuart Law, Chief Executive of Assetz, the day-long event will include market news and forecasts, information on financing an investment and advice on building a high-yielding portfolio. Places are limited and cost £30. To register to attend call 0161 482 7553 or visit www.investors.assetz.co.uk.
Stuart Law says: "High levels of tenant demand will underpin the buy to let market, with the number of investors and landlords continuing to swell as people seek to generate a decent income from their cash. Many are sensibly taking a long term view of their finances and the London seminar provides the opportunity to learn how to secure a steady source of income and bring greater financial stability in retirement. These are times for investment, not speculation, and any retirement plans supported by property must factor in the possibility of low house price growth, with investors looking for a strong rental income.”
Notes to Editors
About Assetz for Investors Division
Assetz for Investors sources UK and overseas investment property for private investors and has grown to be one of the leading organisations in this market in the UK. Speciality areas include buy-to-let and student and holiday lets. As well as sourcing investments, Assetz for Investors provides a Portfolio Planning Service to guide people towards developing a stable property investment portfolio, generating strong and reliable income as well as good capital growth potential in the long term.
Assetz for Investors: 0845 400 9000 or visit www.assetz.co.uk/investors
About Assetz plc
Assetz plc heads up a group of well-known and successful property and financial services companies. As well as sourcing and advising on carefully selected UK and overseas investments, the group advises on a number of property funds, provides regulated financial planning and mortgage brokering services , loans and financial and investment education.
The Assetz group of companies was founded by Stuart Law, a regular media commentator.
For further information please contact The Wriglesworth Consultancy:
Sarah Lawrence, Account Director: t. 020 7427 1418 email@example.com
Laura Scarrott, Senior Account Executive: t. 020 7427 1406 firstname.lastname@example.org
Stuart Law, Chief Executive, Assetz: t. 07977 982 401 email@example.com
Chief Executive’s Blog: http://investors.assetz.co.uk/blog/archives.php